The Detroit Pistons have signed Italian League MVP forward Luigi Datome to a two-year, $3.75 million deal today, according to ESPN.com.
This move is relatively surprising, but could work out pretty well for the Pistons. In conjunction with signing Josh Smith, it appears the Pistons are aiming to becoming relevant for the first time in a long time.
Datome is only 25-years-old, is 6’9, and weighs 220 pounds. Last season he averaged 17 PPG and shooting 47% from the field and impressive 41% from the 3 point line. It appears that shooting is his strength especially in addition with a 92% from the foul line.
While he obviously had a great deal of success in the Italian league, this does not mean it will translate to success in the NBA. With that said, expectations should be tempered. So far the Pistons have basically admitted this, and have indicated that he will begin off the bench.
Check out his highlights:
- Detroit Pistons Agree to Terms w/ Italian Shooter Gigi Datome (blacksportsonline.com)
- Reports: Pistons to add Italian League MVP (espn.go.com)
- Luigi Datome, Italian League MVP, Signs 2-Year Deal With Detroit Pistons (thedetroitsportssite.com)
- Italian forward Luigi “Gigi” Datome to sign with Pistons (tracking.si.com)
- AP source: Pistons, Datome agree to 2-year deal (sandiego6.com)