After training with NBA legend Hakeem Olajuwon last summer, Amar’e Stoudemire has decided to take the one week course with him again. Joining him is his teammate on the New York Knicks is superstar Carmelo Anthony.
There has been a small sample size, but plenty of speculation that the two can not play together well, as they both occupy the same parts of the floor. While it may be a stretch, perhaps the great Olajuwon may be able to work with them on how to feed off of each other.
While that is just my hopeful thinking as a Knicks fan, I do know that Carmelo Anthony is attending to primarily work on his offensive and defensive post game. First of all, any time he is willing to work on his defense, I am ecstatic. He has the capability of being a great all around player, but often lacks the effort on the defensive side of the ball. Perhaps with more confidence with this dimension of his game, he may be able to at least improve marginally.
As far as his offensive post moves, I really am looking forward to seeing less jump shooting from Melo. With him and J.R. Smith, who both have success driving to the basket, I see way too many forced shots per game that I want to see. His field goal percentage was poor in the postseason, partially due to injury, but mostly due to forcing shots. Having Melo in the post allows for kicking the ball back out to perimeter shooters for the open-j.
As much as I am excited about the prospects of the two improving, it is also only one week. But, I am happy to see the desire from the two most important players on my favorite team.
- Amar’e Stoudemire to Train with Hakeem Olajuwon Again During 2013 Offseason (bleacherreport.com)
- Hakeem Olajuwon Says He Can Help Amar’e Stoudemire Reach Potential (thacover2.com)
- Carmelo Anthony To Train With Hakeem Olajuwon? (thacover2.com)
- Amar’e Stoudemire will once again train with Hakeem Olajuwon this summer (probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- Amar’e Stoudemire To Train With Hakeem Olajuwon Again This Summer (thacover2.com)