While surfing the internet, I came across this hilarious gif of a Ole Miss Marine screams at Texas Wide Receiver Goodwin. Prior to further investigation, I had absolutely no idea what Goodwin did to provoke the marine. While he did score a touchdown on the Marine’s Ole Miss team, it did seem very strange that a simple TD would cause a Marine to go ballistic like that. First, watch the gif below and then I’ll explain what happened:
First off, the identity of the Marine is Stephen Roberts, a Marine gunnery sergeant and veteran of the Iraq War. He is also the instructor of the NROTC program at Ole Miss, which pretty much means he does not take crap from anyone.
“It was instant,” Roberts says. “By the time I got home my phone died from calls and texts, and now it’s all over my Facebook.”
He then breaks down the event:
“As he ran toward me, I could see him start to make the ‘shhhhh’ motion holding his hand up. I knew behind me was the Texas fan section, and he was staring straight ahead. So I’m thinking, well, I know he’s not ‘shhhh-ing’ his own people.”
As to his reaction, he had this to say:
“It was hey, don’t hush me, because Marines, well … we don’t like to be hushed,” he says with a laugh.
As to any hard feelings toward Texas or Goodwin:
“I’m not the Alabama guy who poisons trees. There will be no Longhorn hunting, or eating Longhorn steaks, I promise,” he says laughing.
- Texas Football: Longhorns’ Receivers Hold Biggest Key in 2013 (bleacherreport.com)
- Mack Brown, Texas Score Big Over Texas A&M with Commitment from Twin Brothers (bleacherreport.com)
- Foreman brothers choose Longhorns (espn.go.com)
- Alto Football: Pair of publications pick ‘Jackets No. 2 in Class A-I (jacksonvilleprogress.com)
- Marine drills hep football players (toledoblade.com)